myJukebox
        Photography for Arts and Culture    
Albums Slideshow   Slideshow   Slideshow       
 

Click/tap for larger version!Torch lily (Kniphofia uvaria), also known as red hot poker due to the shape and color of its inflorescence, is seen at the small lake in the Lower Garden of Buda Arboretum. It originates from South Africa and has been introduced into many parts of the world. The flowers produce abundant nectar while blooming, so they are very attractive to bees and sunbirds. The photo was shot at the end of May 2020. - The Botanical Garden that is a part of Szent István University Campus is located on the southern slopes of Gellért Hill with the main entry from Villányi út. It contains more than fifteen hundred taxa of woody plants on an area of 7.5 ha. - The history goes back to the middle of the 19th century when the Institute of Horticulture Education – a gardener training school – was founded by the former military doctor Ferenc Entz in 1853. The school was moved on Gellért Hill in 1876. - Under the guidance of Károly Räde, German-born dendrologist, many different trees and shrubs began to be planted around the institute in 1893. Buda Botanical Garden was born that time. - As a result of long-time consistent work it has become a living botanical collection available for both educational and research purposes by today. It is said to be one of the richest arboretums in Hungary today. - To see more, VISIT OUR ALBUM ! Virágzó fürtös fáklyaliliom (Kniphofia uvaria) a Budai Arborétum Alsó Kertjében a kis tó mellett – a fotó 2020. május végén készült. A Dél-Afrikából származó szép növény egyben hasznos is, mert odacsalogatja a beporzó méheket. Az ország egyik legszebb és leggazdagabb növénykertje a kertészeti felsőoktatás egyik fellegvárának tekintett Szent István Egyetem Budai Campusában található. Története a Haszonkertészeket Képző Gyakorlati Tanintézethez nyúlik vissza, amely az 1848-49-es szabadságharc orvosának, dr. Entz Ferencnek köszönhetően 1853-ban jött létre. Az intézmény 1876-ban költözött mai helyére, a Gellért-hegy déli lejtőjére. - Räde Károly német születésű kertész, dendrológus (fás növények tudósa) tervei alapján – 200 díszfa, 800 díszcserje és 90 évelő telepítésével – kezdődött el a Budai Arborétum kialakítása 1893-ban. - A Villányi út – Szüret utca – Somlói út által közrefogott területet a Ménesi út két részre osztja: az Alsó és a Felső Kertre. Unokáimmal együtt gyakran jövünk ide sétákra, beszélgetésekre, fotózásra. - Ha van kedved, NÉZD MEG ALBUMUNKAT!
 

Click/tap for larger version!The statue of Pope Sylvester II was erected in 2001 in front of St. Gerard (Szent Gellért) Church in Kelenföld, Újbuda. It was made by Hungarian sculptor Imre Varga, who is regarded as one of Hungary's most known artists. - Pope Sylvester II (c.  946–1003), with born name of Gerbert of Aurillac, was a scholar and teacher who served as the bishop of Rome and ruled the State of the Church from 999 to his death. - One version of the origin of the Holy Crown of Hungary was written by bishop Hartvik (bw. 1095–1116), in which Pope Sylvester II had sent 'his blessings and a crown' to King Stephen I. – Our first Christian king, Stephen, along with his son Emeric and Gerard, whose name was given to this church, was canonized in 1083. A Kelenföldi Szent Gellért Plébániatemplomnál állították fel 2001-ben II. Szilveszter pápa csaknem 3 méter magas szobrát, melynek alkotója Magyarország egyik leghíresebb szobrásza, a Kossuth-díjas Varga Imre (1923–2019). - A történelmi legenda szerint: 'II. Szilveszter pápa küldte országalapító István királyunknak a koronát. … A magas életkort megért főpap arcát Varga érzékletesen mintázta meg. A tiara, a hármas korona tetején a kereszttel titokzatosan naggyá teszi II. Szilveszter koponyáját, hangsúlyozva szellemi és emberi méltóságát. Az agg egyházfő megroskadt alakjával szemben az arc határozottságot és erőt sugároz, amelyre nagy szüksége volt az országot szervező, keresztény hitre térítő István királynak. … A főpap a Szent Koronát nem előre nyújtja, hanem kínálja, csupán lehetőségként tartja.' (forrás: Kozterkep.hu) - 1083-ban, I. László uralkodása alatt, I. Istvánt – fiával, Imre herceggel és a templom névadójával, Gellért püspökkel együtt – a katolikus egyház szentjévé avatták.
 

Click/tap for larger version!The bronze statue of ‘The Wise Man of the Nation’ Ferenc Deák sitting on a chair lies on a high pedestal of granite, flanked with allegorical figures representing Deák’s work and achievements. Due to the death of sculptor Adolf Huszár, Adolf Keszler és Ede Mayer were assigned to complete the monument. The postament is Albert Schickedanz’s work. Deák Ferenc, a haza bölcse halálának évében (1876) már eldöntötték, hogy a tiszteletére emlékművet emelnek. A kiírt pályázat nyertese Huszár Adolf lett. Mivel 1885-ben a szobrász meghalt, a szobor befejezésével Keszler Adolfot és Mayer Edét bízták meg. A talapzat Schickedanz Albert alkotása. A szobor a Schlick-féle öntödében készült. Az emlékművet 1887-ben avatták fel a mai Széchenyi téren. - A Fiumei úti sírkert Deák mauzóleumának márványába vésve ez olvasható: ‘Kockáztathatunk mindent a Hazáért, de a Hazát kockáztatni semmiért nem szabad.
 

Click/tap for larger version!The National Archives of Hungary is the nation's record keeper. It was created in 1756, first located in Pressburg, then moved to Buda in 1784. The present home of the National Archives was built on the northern side of Buda Castle, in Bécsi kapu square in historical style according to the plans of architect Samu Pecz. Detail of the building is seen in the photo. A Magyar Nemzeti Levéltár a nemzeti kincseknek számító iratokat őrző állami közgyűjteményi intézet. A budai várbeli Bécsi kapu téren álló központi épület terveinek elkészítésére Pecz Samu műegyetemi tanár kapott megbízást 1912-ben. Az akkor már híres építész a nemzetközi trendeknek megfelelően historizáló stílust követett. A képen a levéltári épület egyik részlete látható.
 

Click/tap for larger version!On a sunny afternoon in September I proposed to my granddaughter Bius to go out to nearby Gellert Hill. While walking down the slopes, we enjoyed the sight of the Danube with its bridges and the Pest side. Egy szeptember eleji napsütéses délután felmentünk a Gellért-hegyre Bius unokámmal. A hegyoldalon sétálva lefelé megcsodáltuk a Dunát, a hidakat és a pesti oldalt.
 

Click/tap for larger version!Statue of Hungarian statesman István Bibó was sculpted by Géza Széri-Varga. It was erected at the bank of the Danube, near the Parliament building, in 2005. - During the 1956 Hungarian Revolution Bibó served as the Minister of State for the Hungarian National Government led by Imre Nagy. When the Soviet troops invaded to crush the Parliament, he was the last Minister, who left his post. He stayed in the building and wrote his famous proclamation ’For Freedom and Truth’ before the Soviet occupation. Bibó was arrested in May 1957 and sentenced to life imprisonment in 1958. He was released in the 1963 amnesty. He died in Budapest in 1979. Funeral speeches at Óbuda Cemetery were delivered by poet Gyula Illyés and journalist-editor János Kenedi. The event became the first open appearance of the various strands of the democratic opposition. Bibó István portrészobra az 5. kerületi Markó utca és a Széchenyi rakpart sarkán található. A szobor elkészítésére 2004-ben kiírt pályázatot Széri-Varga Géza szobrász nyerte meg. - A 20. század egyik legnagyobb politikai gondolkodójának tartott Bibó István (1911-1979) 1956. november elején államminiszterként tagja volt a kormánynak. ’A Nagy Imre-kormány államminisztereként utolsó volt, aki elhagyta a Parlament épületét, melybe behatoltak a szovjet katonák. A saját maga által gépelt kiáltványt személyesen postázta a nyugati államok nagykövetségeinek, melyek hallani sem akartak arról, hogy segítséget nyújtsanak Bibónak a kiáltványban megfogalmazott célok megvalósításához.’ (forrás: Csepeli György írása) - Politikai tevékenységéért Bibó Istvánt 1957-ben letartóztatták és életfogytiglani börtönre ítélték. 1963-ban amnesztiával szabadult. Legfontosabb munkái közé tartozik ’A kelet-európai kisállamok nyomorúsága’ című tanulmánya. - Bibó istván 1979. május 10-én halt meg. Temetésén Kenedi János és Illyés Gyula mondtak beszédet. 1956 után ez volt az első alkalom a demokratikus ellenzék nyílt fellépésére Magyarországon.
 

Click/tap for larger version!Parrotia Persica (Persian Ironwood) leaves are seen in Buda Botanical Garden in autumn. The arboretum is a part of Szent István University Campus, and is located on the southern slopes of Gellért Hill with the main entry from Villányi út. It contains more than fifteen hundred taxa of woody plants on an area of 7.5 ha. The sheltered position and the urban micro-climate is good for warm loving plants. A 'Tűzmadár', a perzsa varázsfa levelei ősszel változatos színekben pompáznak, lilás-bíborpirosra színeződnek. A csodamogyoró-félék családjába tartozó, Észak-Iránban őshonos lombhullató fa a Budai Arborétumban látható. A Szent István Egyetem Campusának részeként tekintett arborétum története a Haszonkertészeket Képző Gyakorlati Tanintézethez nyúlik vissza, amely az 1848-49-es szabadságharc egykori orvosának, dr. Entz Ferencnek köszönhetően 1853-ban jött létre. Az intézmény 1876-ban költözött a Gellért-hegy déli lejtőjére. A Villányi út – Szüret utca – Somlói út által közrefogott területet a Ménesi út két részre osztja: az Alsó és a Felső Kertre. - Az Alsó Kert egyik kedvenc helyünk – unokáimmal együtt – sétákra, beszélgetésekre, fotózásra. … - Ha van kedved, NÉZD MEG ARBORÉTUM ALBUMUNKAT!
 

Click/tap for larger version!Beautiful coloured autumn leaves are seen in Buda Botanical Garden that is a part of Szent István University Campus. It is located on the southern slopes of Gellért Hill with the main entry from Villányi út. It contains more than fifteen hundred taxa of woody plants on an area of 7.5 ha. It is divided into Lower and Upper Garden by Ménesi út. - The history dates back to the middle of the 19th century when a gardener training school – the Institute of Horticulture Education – was founded by the former military doctor Ferenc Entz in 1853. The school was moved on Gellért Hill in 1876. - Under the guidance of German-born gardener-dendrologist Károly Räde, many different trees and shrubs began to be planted around the institute in 1893. Buda Botanical Garden was born in that year. - As a result of long-time consistent work it has become a living botanical collection available for both educational and research purposes by today. It is asid to be one of the richest arboretums in Hungary today. Őszi színekbe öltöztek a falevelek a Budai Arborétumban. Az ország egyik legszebb és leggazdagabb arborétumának Alsó Kertben járunk. mely a kertészeti felsőoktatás egyik fellegvárának tekintett Szent István Egyetem Budai Campusában található. Története a Haszonkertészeket Képző Gyakorlati Tanintézethez nyúlik vissza, amely az 1848-49-es szabadságharc orvosának, dr. Entz Ferencnek köszönhetően 1853-ban jött létre. Az intézmény 1876-ban költözött mai helyére, a Gellért-hegy déli lejtőjére. - Räde Károly német születésű kertész, dendrológus (fás növények tudósa) tervei alapján – 200 díszfa, 800 díszcserje és 90 évelő telepítésével – kezdődött el a Budai Arborétum létrehozása 1893-ban. - A Villányi út – Szüret utca – Somlói út által közrefogott területet a Ménesi út két részre osztja: az Alsó és a Felső Kertre. Unokáimmal együtt gyakran jövünk az Alsó Kertbe sétákra, beszélgetésekre, fotózásra. - Ha van kedved, nézd meg ŐSZI ALBUMUNKAT!
 

Click/tap for larger version!We are in the lower part of Buda Botanical Garden and enjoy the colourful autumn leaves. The arboretum belongs Szent István University Campus, and is situated on the southern slopes of Gellért Hill with the main entry from Villányi út. It contains more than fifteen hundred taxa of woody plants on an area of 7.5 ha. It is divided into Lower and Upper Garden by Ménesi út. - The origin goes back to the 19th century when the Institute of Horticulture Education, a gardener training school was founded by Ferenc Entz in 1853. (Entz was formerly a military doctor of the 1848-49 Hungarian Revolution.) The school was moved on Gellért Hill in 1876. - Under the guidance of German-born gardener-dendrologist Károly Räde, different trees and shrubs were planted around the school from 1893. So began the history of Buda Botanical Garden. - As a result of long-time development it has become a living collection for both educational and research purposes by today. It is said to be one of the most beautiful and richest arboretums in Hungary today. - With my grandchildren we often go to this botanical garden just for walking, talking and taking shots. We prefer autumn, because it's a second spring when every leaf is a flower (Albert Camus). Őszi színekbe öltöztek a falevelek a Budai Arborétumban. Az ország egyik legszebb és leggazdagabb arborétumában vagyunk, az ún. Alsó Kertben. A Budai Arborétum a kertészeti felsőoktatás egyik fellegvárának tekinthető Szent István Egyetem Budai Campusának része. Története a Haszonkertészeket Képző Gyakorlati Tanintézethez nyúlik vissza, amely az 1848-49-es szabadságharc orvosának, dr. Entz Ferencnek köszönhetően 1853-ban jött létre. Az intézmény 1876-ban költözött a Gellért-hegy déli lejtőjére. Räde Károly német kertész, dendrológus (fás növények tudósa) tervei alapján – 200 díszfa, 800 díszcserje és 90 évelő telepítésével – kezdődött el a Budai Arborétum megteremtése 1893-ban. A Villányi út – Szüret utca – Somlói út által közrefogott területet a Ménesi út két részre osztja: az Alsó és a Felső Kertre. - Az Alsó Kert egyik kedvenc helyünk – unokáimmal együtt – sétákra, beszélgetésekre, fotózásra. … - Ha van kedved, nézd meg ARBORÉTUM ALBUMUNKAT!
 

Click/tap for larger version!We are in Diana Street Park, Istenhegy, Budapest 12th district: Jókai Mór Primary School (left), Saint Ladislaus Catholic Church (right), Jókai agora with the statue of the novelist (detail at bottom) A Diana parkban vagyunk a Svábhegyen: baloldalon a Jókai Mór és Német Nemzetiségi Általános Iskola, jobboldalon a Szent László plébánia, alul középen pedig a Jókai agóra egyik részlete az író szobrával; alkotója: Párkányi Raab Péter. Az agóra Eleőd Ákos tervei alapján készült.
 

Click/tap for larger version!We are in Svábhegy, Budapest 12th district – Saint Ladislaus Catholic Church was built in 1856-1860, architects: Romano von Ringe and Miklós Ybl, then rebuilt by Ferenc Pfaff (1886). Az istenhegyi Szent László Plébániatemplom – Svábhegy, Diana u. – Romano von Ringe udvari építész és Ybl Miklós tervei alapján épült 1856-1860 között, majd restaurálták és átépítették Pfaff Ferenc közreműködésével (1886).
 

Click/tap for larger version!On a sunny September afternoon we went to Gellert Hill with my granddaugher Bius for a walking with talking. From the Citadel we walked down to Bishop the Gellert Monument, from where we looked down on the Elizabeth bridge and the Pest embankment. Egy szeptember eleji napsütéses délután Bius unokámmal felmentünk a Gellért-hegyre egy kis beszélgetős sétára. A Citadellától indultunk, majd némi séta után Szent Gellért püspök emlékművéhez jutottunk le, ahonnan remek kilátás nyílt az Erzsébet hídra és a pesti rakpartra.
 

Click/tap for larger version!We are in Táncsics Mihály utca (street) running from Hess András tér (square) to Bécsi Kapu tér in Buda Castle Quarter, Budapest 1st district. The houses here were built in Baroque or neo-Classical style. The street bears the name of the famous journalist, Mihály Táncsics (1799-1884), who was a hero of the Hungarian Revolution of 1848. - In the middle left we can see the tower of the Lutheran Church of Budavár built in 1895. - Detail of the building of the National Archives is seen on the right. It was built in historical style according to the plans of architect Samu Pecz. A Táncsics Mihály utcában vagyunk, ami a Hess András teret köti össze a Bécsi kapu térrel a Budai Várnegyedben. A 9-11. szám alatti lőportárat a 19. században börtönként is használták, itt raboskodott egy ideig Kossuth Lajos és Táncsics Mihály. 1848-ban rövid ideig Kossuth Lajos utcának nevezték. 1948-tól Táncsics Mihály nevét viseli. - A kép bal középső részén az 1895-ben épült Budavári Evengélikus templom tornyát látjuk. - A Magyar Nemzeti Levéltár központi épületének részletét látjuk a jobb oldalon. Az épület megtervezésére Pecz Samu műegyetemi tanár kapott megbízást 1912-ben. Az akkor már híres építész a nemzetközi trendeket követve historizáló stílust választott.
 

Click/tap for larger version!In 1853, four years after the completion of the Chain Bridge, the building of a tunnel running under the Castle Hill was started according to the plans of Scottish engineer Adam Clark. Let us mention that Clark supervised the contsruction of the Széchenyi Chain Bridge, which was designed by his namesake English enginer Wiiliam Tierney Clark. - The tunnel was opened for foot traffic in 1856 and also for other traffic in the spring of 1857. Being 350 meters long, it connects Kirisztinaváros to the head of the Chain Bridge in Clark Ádám square. The eastern gate of the tunnel, which is seen in the photo, was designed in classicist style. A budai Váralagút a Széchenyi lánchíd Clark Ádám téren lévő budai hídfőjét Krisztinavárossal összekötő 350 méter hosszú alagút. Hasonlóan a Lánchídhoz, ennek fontosságát is gróf Széchenyi István vetette fel. A megvalósítás 1853–1857 között zajlott Clark Ádám skót mérnök tervei szerint, aki egyébként a Széchenyi lánchíd építésének vezetője volt. (A Lánchidat névrokona, William Tierney Clark angol mérnök tervezte.) A képen látható keleti kapuzat eklektikusan klasszicizáló stílusban épült. - Kezdetben minden áthaladónak kellett fizetnie, a gyalogosoknak egy krajcárt, az egylovas kocsik tulajdonosainak három, a 2 lovas kocsik tulajdonosainak pedig hat krajcárt kellett adniuk a vámszedőnek. (forrás: Budapestcity.org)
 

Click/tap for larger version!Royal Garden Pavilion (Castle Bazaar, Hungarian: Várkert Bazár) is a unique ’jewelry box’ where architecture and garden complement each other. It was designed by Miklós Ybl and built between 1875-1883. Its amazing garden is seen in this photo. The Renaissance garden originates from Italy and shows symmetry and harmony between building and landscape. Fountain plays an important role in this style of garden architecture. The neo-Renaissance follows the appearance of the original one. - The garden of ’Várkert Bazár’ was restored under the guidance of landscape architect István Steffler. Having been renovated Royal Garden Pavilion reopened in April 2014, on the 200th anniversary of Ybl’s birth. It belongs to world heritage under UNESCO. - Neo-Renaissance (Renaissance Revival) mainly appeared in architecture in the 19th century. Miklós Ybl (1814–1891) is credited with establishing the neo-Renaissance trend in Hungarian architecture. Hungarian Opera House, Hungarian Academy of Sciences and Saint Stephen’s Basilica were also designed in this style. Az olasz, német és francia függőkertek mintájára tervezett épületegyüttes – a Várkert Bazár – 1875 és 1883 között épült fel Ybl Miklós tervei alapján. A képen a gyönyörű neoreneszánsz stílusú kert látható, melynek felújítása Steffler István táj- és kertépítész munkáját dicséri. A Várkert Bazár – kiemelt műemlékként – 1987-ben a világörökség része lett. A felújítás első üteme Ybl Miklós születésének 200. évfordulójára készült el (2014). - A neoreneszánsz a historizmus egyik fajtája, mely az eredeti reneszánsz stílusjegyeket igyekszik utánozni, újjáéleszteni. A neogótika után bontakozott ki és Magyarországon jelentős szerepet kapott, főként az építészetben. Neoreneszánsz stílusú épületek még: Magyar Operaház, Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, Szent István Bazilika. Ybl Miklósnak meghatározó szerepe volt a hazai neoreneszánsz építészet megteremtésében.
  

Click/tap for larger version!Royal Garden Pavilion (Castle Bazaar, Hungarian: Várkert Bazár) – a series of buildings and gardens – was designed by Miklós Ybl in Neo-Renaissance style and built between 1875-1883. The decoration was made by Mór Than, Róbert Scholz, Leó Fessler, Vilmos Zsolnay (’glazed ceramic decorations’). - Having been renovated it opened in April 2014, commemorating the 200th anniversary of the birth of the architect. Now it is a perfect scene for leisure, entertainment and cultural events. It belongs to world heritage under UNESCO. - Neo-Renaissance (Renaissance Revival) is a branch of Historicism that seeks to follow the characteristics of the original Renaissance. It mainly appeared in architecture of the 19th century. Miklós Ybl is credited with establishing the Neo-Renaissance architecture in Hungary. Hungarian Opera House, Hungarian Academy of Sciences and Saint Stephen’s Basilica were also designed in this style. A Várkert Bazár a kitűnő építész, Ybl Miklós tervei alapján épült 1875 és 1883 között, neoreneszánsz stílusban. A homlokzati sgraffitók (többrétegű díszítés) Than Mór és Scholz Róbert, a szobrok Fessler Leó, Huszár Adolf, Schföfl Armin, a kerámiák Zsolnay Vilmos, a díszes vasrácsok pedig Jungfer Gyula munkáját dicsérik. A Várkert Bazár árkádsorai egykor üzletekkel, műtermekkel voltak tele. Stróbl Alajos volt az első szobrász, akinek a bazár árkádsorán saját műterme volt. - Ma kiemelt műemlék, a világörökség része. A felújítás első üteme Ybl Miklós születésének 200. évfordulójára készült el (2014). - A neoreneszánsz a historizmus, az elmúlt korok stílusai utánzásának, újjáélesztésének egyik ága, mely az eredeti reneszánsz jellemző vonásait követi. Magyarországon jelentős szerepet kapott, főként az építészetben, elsősorban Ybl Miklósnak köszönhetően. Ismert neoreneszánsz stílusú épületek még: Magyar Operaház, Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, Szent István Bazilika.
 

Click/tap for larger version!A series of buildings and gardens, known as Royal Garden Pavilion (Várkert Bazár) was designed by architect Miklós Ybl (1814–1891 in Neo-Renaissance style and built at the foot of the Castle Hill between 1875 and 1883. Now it is part of UNESCO’s World Heritage sites. - Neo-Renaissance (Renaissance Revival) is one of the form of Historicism, it is a reversion to Renaissance. It was applied mainly in architecture and in handicrafts in the 19th century. Miklós Ybl, one of the greatest Hungarian architects, can be credited with establishing the neo-Renaissance style in architecture in Hungary. Saint Stephen’s Basilica, Hungarian Opera House, Hungarian Academy of Sciences were also made in this style. A Várkert Bazár létrehozásának alapgondolata az volt, hogy a gyorsan fejlődő pesti Duna-partnak legyen párja a budai oldalon, továbbá az is, hogy a Budai Vár felőli oldalon a királyi kertek méltó módon legyenek lezárva. - A nemzetközileg is egyedülálló épületegyüttes Ybl Miklós tervei szerint épült fel neoreneszánsz stílusban, 1875 és 1883 között. Árkádsorai egykor üzletekkel, műtermekkel voltak tele. Ma kiemelt műemlék, a világörökség része. A felújítás első üteme Ybl Miklós születésének 200. évfordulójára készült el (2014). - A Várkert Bazár egészére – beleértve a vár és az árkádsor közötti kertet – jellemző neoreneszánsz a historizmus azon változata, mely az eredeti reneszánsz jellegzetes stíluselemeit igyekszik újjáéleszteni, követni, utánozni. A neogótika után bontakozott ki és Magyarországon főként az építészetben kapott jelentős szerepet – elsősorban Ybl Miklósnak köszönhetően. Ismert neoreneszánsz stílusú épületek még: Magyar Operaház, Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, Szent István Bazilika.
 

Click/tap for larger version!Buda Castle Coronation Church of Our Lady, more commonly known as Matthias Church is located in Holy Trinity Square (Szentháromság tér), near Fisherman's Bastion (Halászbástya), Budapest 1st district. The first church on this site was founded by Saint Stephen, King of Hungary in the 11th century. - King Béla IV of Hungary after the Mongol invasion, in the middle of the 13th century, replaced the older, smaller church with a towering three-nave basilica. - In the second half of the 14th century it was rebuilt into a Gothic Hall church. - During his reign King Matthias Corvinus made further changes in the Gothic architecture of the church. - In 1541, when the Turks captured Buda, The Church of Our Lady became a mosque. - In the second half of the nineteenth century, under the guidance of architect Frigyes Schulek, the church was siginificantly restored to its original grandiosity. Schulek adhered to the original 13th-century plans and uncovered several original Gothic elements that lost in the past centuries. Colorful roof tiles were also added, which we can admire every day. The reconstruction of The Church of Our Lady was completed in 1896, in the year of the Millennium. A Mátyás templom, vagy másik nevén Budavári Koronázó Főtemplom, hivatalos nevén pedig: Budavári Nagyboldogasszony templom előtt állunk. Az első templomot Szent István király alapította itt a 11. század elején. - IV. Béla a tatárjárás után, a 13. század közepén, a régebbi kisebb templom helyére tornyos, háromhajós bazilikát építtetett. - A templom Hunyadi Mátyás uralkodása alatt is jelentős változásokon ment át. A király felépíttette a délnyugati harangtornyot, a hazai gótikus építészet egyik nagyszerűbb alkotását. Itt történt meg trónra ültetése is 1458-ban. (Valódi megkoronázására csak 1464-ben került sor Székesfehérváron, mert a Szent Koronát csak évekkel később sikerült visszaszerezni a Habsburgoktól.) - A templomot Buda elfoglalása után (1541) a törökök mecsetté alakították át. – A templom Buda visszafoglalása (1686) után először a ferences, majd a jezsuita rend tulajdonába került. Utóbbiak barokk stílusban állították helyre. - I. Ferenc József 1873-ban kelt határozata alapján 1874-1896 között Schulek Frigyes vezetésével alakult ki az épület mai arculata.
 

Click/tap for larger version!We are in Kapisztrán tér (square) in Buda Castle Quarter. The Bronze Relief of the Coronation Mantle (seen in the photo) was made by Hungarian sculptor Tibor Rieger. It was inaugurated in the sanctuary of the Mary Magdalene ruin church on Easter Monday in 2017. - ’Almost everything has been destroyed from the era of Saint Stephen, only foundation stones remain, but one of the most fragile materials i.e. textile has survived, and it has existed for almost one thousand years. I thought that the spirit of King Stephan’s court could be best rendered through the mantle.’ – said the sculptor. A Kapisztrán téren vagyunk, a Budai Várnegyedben. A képen látható ’Koronázási palást dombormű’ Rieger Tibor szobrászművész alkotása. - A Nemzeti Múzeumban őrzött koronázási palást mintázata az eltelt évszázadok alatt megfakult, a rajta lévő mintázatot nem könnyű felismerni a palástot védő, kis fényű múzeumi megvilágításban. - Rieger Tibor domborműve ebben segít nekünk. 2017 húsvéthétfőn avatták fel mai helyén, a Mária Magdolna romtemplom egykori szentélyénél.
 
Click/tap for larger version!The series of buildings and gardens, known as Royal Garden Pavilion (Várkert Bazár), was designed by architect Miklós Ybl in Neo-Renaissance style and built in 1875-1883. (We can see a detail in the photo.) Now it is part of UNESCO’s World Heritage sites.- Neo-Renaissance (Renaissance Revival) is a form of Historicism, it is a reversion to Renaissance. It was mainly be applied in architecture and in handicrafts in the 19th century. Miklós Ybl, one of the greatest Hungarian architects, can be credited with establishing the Neo-Renaissance style in Hungary. Hungarian Opera House, Hungarian Academy of Sciences and Saint Stephen’s Basilica were also designed in this style. A Várkert Bazár Ybl Miklós tervei szerint épült 1875 és 1883 között neoreneszánsz stílusban. (Egy részletét láthatjuk a képen.) Egykor árkádsorai üzletekkel voltak tele. Ma kiemelt műemlék, a világörökség része. A felújítás első üteme Ybl Miklós születésének 200. évfordulójára készült el (2014). - A neoreneszánsz a historizmus azon ága, mely a reneszánsz stílusjegyeit alkalmazza. A neogótika után bontakozott ki és Magyarországon jelentős szerepet kapott, főkelnt az építészetben. Ismert neoreneszánsz stílusú épületek még: Magyar Operaház, Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, Szent István Bazilika.
 

Click/tap for larger version!Royal Garden Pavilion (Castle Bazaar, Hungarian: Várkert Bazár) – a series of buildings and gardens – was designed by Miklós Ybl in Neo-Renaissance style and built between 1875-1883. The decoration was made by Mór Than, Róbert Scholz, Leó Fessler, Vilmos Zsolnay (’glazed ceramic decorations’). … Having been renovated it reopened in April 2014, commemorating the 200th anniversary of the birth of the architect. Now it is the perfect scene for leisure, entertainment and cultural events. It belongs to world heritage under UNESCO. - Neo-Renaissance (Renaissance Revival) is a branch of Historicism that seeks to follow the characteristics of the original Renaissance. It mainly appeared in architecture in the 19th century. Hungarian Opera House, Hungarian Academy of Sciences and Saint Stephen’s Basilica were also designed in this style. Miklós Ybl is highly credited with establishing the Neo-Renaissance architecture in Hungary. Statue of him was erected here in 1896. A Várkert Bazár a kitűnő építész, Ybl Miklós tervei alapján épült 1875 és 1883 között, neoreneszánsz stílusban. A homlokzati sgraffitók (többrétegű díszítés) Than Mór és Scholz Róbert, a szobrok Fessler Leó, Huszár Adolf, Schföfl Armin, a kerámiák Zsolnay Vilmos, a díszes vasrácsok pedig Jungfer Gyula munkáját dicsérik. A Várkert Bazár árkádsorai egykor üzletekkel, műtermekkel voltak tele. Stróbl Alajos volt az első szobrász, akinek a bazár árkádsorán saját műterme volt. - Ma kiemelt műemlék, a világörökség része. A felújítás első üteme Ybl Miklós születésének 200. évfordulójára készült el (2014). - A neoreneszánsz a historizmus, az elmúlt korok stílusai utánzásának, újjáélesztésének egyik ága, mely az eredeti reneszánsz jellemző vonásait követi. Magyarországon jelentős szerepet kapott, főként az építészetben, elsősorban Ybl Miklósnak köszönhetően. Ismert neoreneszánsz stílusú épületek még: Magyar Operaház, Magyar Tudományos Akadémia, Szent István Bazilika. A híres építész tiszteletére Mayer Ede készített szobrot, melyet 1896-ban itt állítottak fel.
 

Click/tap for larger version!Hungarian sculptor Alajos Stróbl's statue of King St. Stephen is seen at Fisherman’s Bastion. The first Christian King of Hungary from 1000 to 1038, who was canonized by Pope Gregory VII in 1083, sits on a horse covered with the coronation cloak. The crown is on his head, double cross in his hand and a gilded glory encompassing his head. The reliefs at the bottom depict significant events of his reign. Stróbl Alajos Szent Istvánt ábrázoló lovasszobrát látjuk, melynek létrehozásában részt vett Schulek Frigyes, a Halászbástya tervezője, mint építész, valamint bronzöntőként Róna József és Tsa. A királyon palást, fején korona, jobb kezében kettős kereszt van, a ló testét díszes takaró fedi. A király fejét a szentségére utaló glória szegélyezi. (I. Istvánt VII. Gergely pápa avatta szentté I. László király javaslatára 1083-ban.) Az alépítmény oldalain lévő domborművek István uralkodásának kiemelkedő mozzanatait rögzítik. A szobrot 1906-ban avatták fel.
 

Click/tap for larger version!On the left detail of Buda Castle Coronation Church of Our Lady, more commonly known as Matthias Church is seen in Buda Castle Quarter. The first church on this site was founded by St. Stephen, King of Hungary in the 11th century. After a few recontructions, in the second half of the 19th century, the church was largely restored to its original grandiosity under the guidance of architect Frigyes Schulek. Schulek held the original 13th-century plans and uncovered Gothic elements that lost in the past. Colorful roof tiles were also added, which we admire every time we are here. The reconstruction of The Church of Our Lady was completed by 1896, the year of the Millennium. - In the middle we can see Alajos Stróbl's statue of King St. Stephen. The bronze figure of our first Christian King sits astride a horse covered with the coronation cloak. Double cross is in his hand, and the crown is on his head, above which there is a guilded glory. The reliefs at the bottom of the composition depict important events of St. Stephen’s reign. - On the right detail of Fisherman's Bastion is seen. It was designed in neo-Gothic and neo-Romanesque style according tothe plans of Hungarian architect Frigyes Schulek. It was built between 1895 and 1902 in Buda Castle Quarter. Its 7 towers with pointed tops represent the 7 Hungarian (Magyar) tribes that settled in the Carpathian Basin at the end of the 9th century. A Mátyás templom, hivatalos nevén a Budavári Nagyboldogasszony templom közelében állunk. Az első templomot Szent István király alapította itt a 11. század elején. Több átalakítást, áttervezést követően I. Ferenc József 1873-ban kelt határozata alapján 1874-1896 között Schulek Frigyes vezetésével alakult ki a mai arculat. Az általa hűen rekonstruált, kisebb részben pedig művészi igényességgel újratervezett, templom neogótikus építészetünk kiemelkedő alkotása. – A kép közepén Stróbl Alajos Szent Istvánt ábrázoló lovasszobrát láthatjuk, melynek megalkotásában részt vett Schulek Frigyes, mint építész, valamint Róna József és Tsa, mint bronzöntő is. A királyon palást, fején korona, jobb kezében kettős kereszt van, a ló testét díszes takaró fedi. Az alépítmény oldalain lévő domborművek István uralkodásának kiemelkedő mozzanatait rögzítik. A szobrot 1906-ban avatták fel. – A jobb oldalon a Halászbástya egyik részlete látható. A régi budai várfalak helyén épült Schulek Frigyes tervei alapján 1895 és 1902 között, neogótikus és neoromán stílusban. Hegyes süvegű kőtornyai a hét magyar honfoglaló vezért jelképezik. A Budai Várnegyed részeként, a Halászbástya 1987 óta Budapest világörökségi helyszíneinek egyike.
 

Click/tap for larger version!The Council of Buda decided to have a column erected at the end of the 17th century with the purpose of thanksgiving for the ending of the plague and protecting the inhabitants from further outbreaks. In connection with another epidemic broken in 1709 the original column was removed and a bigger and more decorative – Baroque style – column was decided to be raised. The carving on the top of the column represents the Holy Trinity. It was made by sculptor Fülöp Ungleich. Below it the column is decorated with smaller statues depicting angels, cherub-like figures and saints. There are three reliefs under the cornice. These are credited to Antal Hörger. The Holy Trinity Column was inaugurated in 1713. - As the original column was severely damaged during WWII we can see today the recontsruction work of sculptor Barna Búza (1968). A Budai Várnegyedben, a Szentháromság téren vagyunk, közvetlenül a Mátyás templom mellett. A képen a Szentháromság-oszlop látható. Története több mint három évszázadra nyúlik vissza, amikor az 1691-es pestisjárvány után a budai polgárok hálaadó szobrot állíttattak itt. 1709-ben újabb járvány tört ki, melynek elmúltával a szobrot másik helyre vitték és egy nagyobb, díszesebb barokk stílusú – ún. fogadalmi oszlopot – készíttettek Ungleich Fülöp és Hörger Antal szobrászokkal. Ezt 1713-ben avatták el. A 14,4 méter magas oszlop csúcsán Ungleich eredeti Szentháromság szoborcsoportja látható ma is. Az emlékoszlop magasba nyúló törzsét díszítő angyalfejek és szentek szobrai, valamint a talapzaton lévő domborművek Hörger munkáját dicsérik. - A II. világháborúban megrongálódott szobrokat és domborműveket 1968-ban Búza Barna tervei alapján restaurálták.
 

Click/tap for larger version!Gellért Thermal Bath was built in Art Nouveau (Secession) style between 1912-1918. Architects: Ármin Hegedűs, Artúr Sebestyén and Izidor Sterk. It was damaged during WWII, then rebuilt. A török időben is fürdő állt a mai Gellért Gyógyfürdő helyén, melyről egy korabeli feljegyzés így ír: ‘A francia betegségre és más hétféle bajra igen hasznos.’ Az épületegyüttes a magyarországi szecesszió kiemelkedő alkotása. Tervezők: Sebestyén Artúr, Hegedűs Ármin és Sterk Izidor.
 

Click/tap for larger version!The exhibition entitled ‘At Our Home in the Countryside’ presented a comprehensive collection of the works of Imre Bukta in Kieselbach Gallery and Auction House in Budapest 5th district at the beginning of 2019. His paintings authentically depict Hungarian rural life. A Kieselbach Galéria ‘Nálunk, vidéken’ címmel mutatta be Bukta imre kortárs művész alkotásait 2019 elején. ‘Bukta Imre képes az őt körülvevő magyar valóságból építkezve érzékeny, hiteles és világszínvonalú munkákat alkotni.’ – mondta róla Kieselbach Tamás.
 

Click/tap for larger version!We are in Széchenyi István square in the Inner City of Budapest. Here you can see the main building of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. The history of the academy began in 1825 when Count Széchenyi offered one year's income of his estate for the purposes of a ‘Learned Society’. The building of the Academy’s headquarters, designed in a Neo-Renaissance style, was built from the draughts of Friedrich August Stüler by Miklós Ybl and Antal Skalnitzky, and inaugurated on December 11, 1865. The first president was József Teleki. Bár a Tudományos Akadémia intézménye 1825-ben jött létre gróf Széchenyi István kezdeményezésére, a székházat csak később, 1862 és 1865 között építették, August Friedrich Stüler berlini építész tervei szerint. A kivitelezést Ybl Miklós Skalnitzky Antallal együtt vezette. 1865. december 11-én adták át az épületet, mely a maga korában a neoreneszánsz stílus nagyszabású, irányadó alkotása volt.
 

Click/tap for larger version!Pest Vigadó, located on the Pest embankment of the Danube, is Budapest's second largest concert hall. To replace the damaged Redoute, a very impressive building was created according to the design by Frigyes Feszl in Romantic style mixed with oriental elements. It opened in 1865. - The pillar statues were sculpted by Károly Alexy. The frescos inside were painted by Károly Lotz and Mór Than. The Vigadó hosted the first all-Liszt concert in Hungary in 1869, and here he conducted the premier of the orchestral versions of Mihály Vörösmarty's ’Appeal’ (Szózat) and Ferenc Kölcsey's ’Hymn’. A Pesti Vigadó Budapest belvárosában a Duna-korzón található. Helyén 1849-ig az osztrákok által a várból leágyúzott Redoute állt, hasonló funkciókkal. A keleti elemeket is tartalmazó romantikus stílusú Vigadó Feszl Frigyes tervei alapján készült el. Az 1865-ben megnyitott impozáns épület rövid időn belül Pest-Buda egyik legfontosabb kulturális intézménye lett. Sok alkalommal lépett fel itt Liszt Ferenc. 1873-ban itt tartották Budapest alakuló gyűlését. - A főhomlokzat oszlopszobrai Alexy Károlyt. míg a nagyterem díszítőszobrai Stróbl Alajost dicsérik. A falfestmények Lotz Károly és Than Mór munkái.
 

Click/tap for larger version!Two grand wood and stone gateways lead into the central square of Wekerle estate. This photo was shot of the Eastern Gate. It was designed by the young but already famous polymath artist Károly Kós. (The design of the Western Gate is credited to Dezső Zrumeczky.) - Wekerletelep was named after Sándor Wekerle, who was the Prime Minister of Hungary at the turn of the 19-20th century. He initiated to establish comfortable, human-scale housing estates to provide accommodation for government employees: workers and clerks. - The main square was built according to the design of Károly Kós. His friend and colleague Dezső Zrumeczky and other artists were also involved. The estate was built between 1908 and 1926. A kispesti Wekerletelep egyik szimbólumának számít a Kós-kapu, a tér keleti kapuja, mely tervezőjéről, Kós Károlyról kapta a nevét. - Az Európa-szerte híres, különleges hangulatú városrész létrehozásának gondolata Wekerle Sándor miniszterelnöktől származik, aki főként munkások és állami hivatalnokok lakásgondjait akarta ezzel angol mintára megoldani. A telep megtervezésénél különös hangsúlyt fektettek a központi térre. Az erre kiírt külön pályázatot a fiatal polihisztor építész, Kós Károly nyerte meg. Bevonta a tervezésbe pályatársát, Zrumeczky Dezsőt és más tehetséges építészeket is.
 

Click/tap for larger version!This house with wooden gables, balconies and steep roofs is typical in the Wekerle estate (Wekerletelep), which was formerly a suburb, a part of Kispest, and administratively attached to Budapest in 1950. The estate has a unique, garden city atmosphere, and was named after Sándor Wekerle, who served three times as Prime Minister at the turn of the 19-20th century. He promoted the idea of building comfortable, human-scale housing estates to solve the accommodation problems of government employees: local workers and clerks. It was planned by young architects in the Hungarian vernacular secession style and built between 1908 and 1926. - The main square was established according the design of the young architect (also writer, graphic artist, illustrator, ethnologist and politician) Károly Kós (1883-1977), his colleague Dezső Zrumeczky and other talented artists. The square was named after Károly Kós in 1987. A Wekerletelep Budapest 19. kerületéhez, Kispesthez tartozik. A különleges karakterű és hangulatú városrész létrehozása 1908-ban kezdődött el Wekerle Sándor háromszoros miniszterelnök (egy ideig pénzügyminiszter) kezdeményezésére. A telep megtervezésénél különös hangsúlyt fektettek a központi térre. Külön pályázatot hirdettek meg, amit Kós Károly, mint meghívott építész nyert meg. Bevonta a tervezésbe barátját, pályatársát, Zrumeczky Dezsőt és más fiatal, tehetséges építészeket is. 1987-től a tér Kós Károly nevét viseli.
 

Click/tap for larger version!We are in Kós Károly square, in the center of Wekerle estate (Wekerletelep), in front of the Western Gate, which is one of the main symbols of the square. It was built according to the design of the young and very talented architect, Dezső Zrumeczky, who was a friend and colleague of Károly Kós. - Wekerletelep was named after Hungarian Prime Minister Sándor Wekerle, at the turn of the 19-20th century, who initiated to establish comfortable, human-scale housing in order to solve the accommodation problems of government employees: workers and clerks. - The main square was designed by the polymath architect Károly Kós. Dezső Zrumeczky and other talented artists were also involved. Wekerletelep was started to be built in 1908. A fotón a kispesti Wekerletelep egyik szimbólumának számító Zrumeczky-kapu, a tér nyugati kapuja látható, mely tervezőjéről, Zrumeczky Dezsőről kapta a nevét. A fiatal építész még csak harmincéves volt, amikor megalkotta a tér talán legjellegzetesebb objektumát. Ebben ‘összegezte’ a népi és ezen belül az erdélyi építészet tanulmányozása során szerzett tapasztalatait. Az Európa-szerte híres, különleges hangulatú városrész létrehozása Wekerle Sándor miniszterelnök kezdeményezésére kezdődött el 1908-ban, főként munkások és állami hivatalnokok lakásgondjainak megoldására. A telep megtervezésénél különös hangsúlyt fektettek a központi térre. Az erre kiírt külön pályázatot a fiatal ’polihisztor-építész’, Kós Károly nyerte meg, aki bevonta a tervezésbe pályatársát, barátját, Zrumeczky Dezsőt és más tehetséges építészeket is.
 

Click/tap for larger version!This is really a unique place to walk along the houses with wooden gables and balconies, and steep roofs. The house on the left is one of the most characteristic buildings of the Kós Károly square in the Wekerle estate (Wekerletelep). On the right we can see the St. Joseph’s catholic church. The estate was named after Sándor Wekerle, Hungarian prime minister at the turn of the 19-20th century, who supported the idea of establishing comfortable, human-scale housing estates to solve the accommodation problems of government employees: workers and clerks. - The main square was built according to the design of the young and already famous architect Károly Kós. His friend and colleague Dezső Zrumeczky and other talented artists were also involved. Wekerletelep was built between 1908 and 1926. A kép baloldalán álló ház (Kós Károly tér 14.) Wekerletelep főterének egyik legjellegzetesebb épülete. A jobboldalon a Wekerlei Munkás Szent József-templom látható. A különleges karakterű és hangulatú városrész létrehozása 1908-ban kezdődött elWekerle Sándor háromszoros miniszterelnök (egy ideig pénzügyminiszter) kezdeményezésére, főként munkások és állami hivatalnokok lakásgondjainak megoldására. Angol hatásra született, a kertvárosépítés egyik legsikeresebb példájának számít a kontinensen. A telep megtervezésénél különös hangsúlyt fektettek a központi térre, amire külön pályázatot hirdettek meg. Ezt Kós Károly, az Erdélyből jött fiatal, de már jól ismert polihisztor-építész nyerte meg, aki bevonta a munkákba barátját, pályatársát, Zrumeczky Dezsőt és más fiatal, tehetséges építészeket is. 1987-től a teret Kós Károly térnek hívják.
 
Copyright © 2005-2020 · Géza Lőrincze · GLobePhoto · Photography for Arts and Culture: 4ArC · All Rights Reserved
You might find yourself in a photo of mine.Write me immediately if you want me to remove it!
Contact for more info and/or higher resolution photo   4ArC   GLobePhoto   Budapest-Hungary    PhotoMaster    mySlideshows    Hungary-must-see   Hungary Photo  
 Higher resolution photos - Slideshow 1  Slideshow 2   Slideshow 3    Blogspot